I should put nutritional yeast on popcorn more.
it’s pretty tasty.
it’s pretty tasty.
mentally I am already in mid-June. I’ve started brainstorming for camp and everything.
WHERE IS THE FAST-FORWARD BUTTON ON LIFE?
my sleep cycle has shifted pretty dramatically since I got home.
like, I’m awake before 6. didn’t set an alarm or anything, just woke up. WEIRD.
here is why I think MarcusButlerTV’s new video, ‘How To Be A Slut’, is awful:
- it’s slut-shaming, as you can probably tell from the title. it implies that women who ‘sleep around’ (i.e. enjoy having sex and therefore have a lot of it) are in some way lesser. ‘to be a slut you have to sleep with as many people as you can, try to catch as many STIs as possible’.
- it associates things like fake tan, wearing lots of make-up etc with being a ‘slut’, as if this is somehow any measure of a woman’s sexual activity, which is nobody else’s business in the first place.
- it implies that if you show any skin, or cleavage, you’re a slut. hey kids, don’t ever be proud of your bodies or want to show them off, that makes you a slut!apparently this was all a ‘joke’, although there’s nothing particularly funny about reinforcing horrible, harmful stereotypes held by many, many people. he then ends the joke portion of the video, and says that on a ‘serious note’;
- nobody’s going to ‘respect’ a girl if she does these things, which is a total piece of shit. how somebody dresses, how much makeup they wear, how sexual they are; none of these thing should be a measure of your respect for them as a person.
- he also states that ‘guys don’t like these things’, implying that girls should listen to him as a representative of the male voice because the way women dress is to please guys, rather than themselves. fantastic!
- girls in the comments are agreeing. they’re saying ‘I HATE SLUTS TOO, THIS IS HILARIOUS’. Marcus has asked for his audience, mostly female, to share what they hate about ‘sluts’, encouraging more attacks on the way some women choose to present themselves. even if Marcus is joking, as he claims to be, even while he’s being ‘serious’ he’s reinforcing all of these ideas to hundreds/thousands of young men and women.
I don’t think that Marcus intended to be sexist and slut-shaming, but that’s what his video is. he’s stated his opinion on the matter through that video, and now I’ve stated mine.
I already miss Cambridge.
it’ll be better once camp starts, I think.